These oil free berry bars are easy to make and they’re healthy enough for breakfast. The original recipe used vegan butter or coconut oil, but I wanted to try apple sauce in place of the oils. They turned out really good!
The bars really aren’t very sweet. I try to get away with the least amount of sugar as possible, even though I always use unrefined sugar like agave or in this case, coconut sugar. The berries provide enough sweetness, and it tastes more like a breakfast rather than a dessert.
I like to use frozen berries as often as possible because they are so much more affordable than the fresh kind, but fresh berries will work wonderfully. Make sure your berries are fully thawed if you’re using frozen.
- 3 C Rolled Oats
- 1.5 C Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 C Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 TSP Baking Powder
- 1/2 TSP Salt
- 1/2 TSP Cinnamon
- 1 1/3 C Apple Sauce
- 4 C Frozen Berries, thawed
- 5 TBS Berry Jam
- 1 TSP Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 375, line your pan with parchment paper (the size of the pan depends on how big you want your bars stacked, I used a large 13 by 9 inch rectangular pan)
- In a bowl, mix oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt. Thoroughly mix.
- Add the apple sauce, you can use your hands for this part.
- Spread 2/3 of the oat mixture onto your prepared pan. Stack up the edges like the bottom of a bar.
- Bake for 10-15 min, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, mix and smash the completely thawed berries with the jam and extract.
- Spread the berry mixture onto the warm oat crust and top with remainder of oat mixture.
- Bake for another 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- After baking is complete, cool the bars for a full 2 hours in the fridge before cutting into bars, or else they will fall apart.
Thanks for reading, leave a comment and let me know what you think about these berry bars. And please be sure to share this recipe with friends:)